Tuesday, November 23, 2010

                                    Solipsism is the New Black


         It's my birthday next Monday (the 29th) and I'll be 51. I was born with almost exactly a month left in the 50's, or if you will a month to go 'til the 60's. It's a moot point because I don't think I've ever belonged in any decade. my favorite movies are from the 30's and 40's, also literature. I'm also a big fan of old time radio, and think that their should still be radio stations that carry original radio drama and comedy, because people get tired of just yapping about sports and politics.

         I guess I am unstuck in time. I like reading books. My art starts out from a pencil before it gets to a computer. But I do appreciate computers and technology and stuff like that there. I like video games, and I look forward to the advancement in technology where I can actually be IN the movie...It's getting there...There are a bunch of Bogart and Noir movies that I wanna do.

         Is it a getting old thing to miss civility? 'Cause I do...I miss when  people were courteous.

         Actually it's not an old thing. You know how I know that? 'Cause I see old people doing it just as much as younger people. The 60 something who barges in front of a line of people waiting for prescriptions, and loudly monopolizes the pharmacists time is just as bad as the teenager loudly having a one sided conversation on a cell phone on a bus late at night. If these were isolated things that would be one thing, but it's not. It happens all the time. People shove past you on the street, give impromptu sermons on crowded subways, have conversations in the theatre while a performance is going on...


And it ripples, feeds on itself, and breeds. The Clerk or the waiter who gets disrespected all day will, at some point, start issuing payback. Ditto the TTC Driver, Bank Teller, or Cop.

I guess it's that I seem to notice that people are spoiling for a fight and will supply you with one at the slightest provocation. And while I agree that there are legitimate reasons to be angry, It's important to be sure that anger is direct to the right person, organization or institution.

I suppose it's a form of Civil Disobedience, but it's not what Gandhi, or Dr. King intended anymore. Going from fighting against some large injustice to one persons inconvenience is not an equal use of time and rage.


Solipsism (loosely defined: Fuck everybody else, It's all about me, baby) has become a viable life path, and I think it sucks. That's only my opinion but who's were you expecting to see on my blog? Dennis Miller's?

I dunno. Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy.

I blame the Danes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wish I'd said that. The scary part is that when I decided that I won't take it anymore. I became the asshole. Just ask the kid that wouldn't stop swearing in front of my 13 year old daughter, during what was supposed to be a quiet breakfast. I think he was rather surprised when I was quite willing to accept his violent challenge.